Monday, January 19, 2009

Bits and pieces

It is 8 AM and I am trying to guess what the weather is going to do this morning. My intention is to ride into Washington with a group and look over the preparation for the Inauguration. The weather looks iffy with snow chances increasing after 2 PM about when we would be starting back. This may not be a good idea.

In contrast I had good weather riding in Seattle last week. I sent a Dahon Speed P8 out and it was a good choice. Seattle has lots of concrete streets which have seams and bumps that the Big Apple tires on the Dahon smoothed out. The hills were easier with the 20" wheels. With all the recumbent riding I have done in recent years I did note that the seat became uncomfortable on my longest ride which was exploring the Burke-Gilman Trail (http://www.cityofseattle.net/Parks/BurkeGilman/bgtrail.htm)

The reason for the Seattle trip was to met my new granddaughter, Sadie Ruth. Oh, what a sweet baby she is. She is snuggly and a little hot water bottle who I loved to hold. I also brushed up on my book reading skills with her older sister, Mira. I like this grandparent role.

I also got to spent time with my wife's mother who is 90 I believe. Coming home on the plane I pondered these two lives. One beginning in the early years of the 20th century and the other which may reach the 22nd century. This is an incredible span of the human experience to consider, especially during this week.

No comments: