Saturday, January 19, 2008

Planning and Dreaming

As you probably know, riding in Northern Virginia is comfortable even in cooler weather until we get some ice and snow. It's possible to ride in the ice and snow as Tim Fricker demonstrated yesterday with his studded tires and determination, but it is a test of will and skill.

When the snow falls I find myself planning for rides later in the year. The mail and internet bring me news of rides. I curl up in a big chair with a calendar and a map to see what is possible. Last year the Newbold Reunion (my mom's family) was held days after RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa) so I attended the reunion and skipped the ride. This year I have RAGBRAI on every calendar that I maintain with July 20-26 bordered in red. We are going.

Bike Virginia (www.bikevirginia.org) has three rides to consider. In May the Tour de Chesapeake will be held in Mathews County May 16-18 (www.bikechesapeake.org). The Bike Virginia "The Crooked Road Tour" is scheduled for June 20-25 in the southwestern section of Virginia and the northeastern part of Tennessee. (On Bike Virginia in 2006 we spent more time in North Carolina than Virginia it seemed.) The River Ride (www.riverride.org) is held along the back roads of the Northern Neck during September 26-28.

I'm working on a list and I'll try to share it with you later this month.

No comments: