Friday, February 25, 2005

The Bike Info Expo

Last Sunday bikes@vienna held the Bike Info Expo at the Vienna Community Center. We took recumbents, trikes, tandems, folders, and even some upright bikes over to display. We enjoyed the company of several groups who had tables of information. PPTC and Bikes For The World joined the fun. Bruce Wright brought maps of the Fairfax County Trails. Pat Kraker set up the display of rider generated electricity. Becky Strode brought her highly acclaimed guide to bike rides on the back roads of Virginia and Maryland titled "Burn The Quads Feed The Brain".

I appreciate all the people that joined us. I was disappointed in the number of people that attended. We had almost 300 people attend the event last year and this year we didn't make it close to 100. I may not have done as good a job of publicity. Perhaps it was a mistake to schedule it during the President's Day weekend. Maybe the forecast of lousy weather played a part. Whatever the reason or reasons I have lots of work to get the event back on track for next year.

The event reaffirmed what I already know about bikes@vienna. There is too much in the store. The gym at the Community Center was filled with bikes and there were still lots at the store. I have to make changes. I'll tell you what I'm considering in a near future entry.

Happy Trails to you and my thanks to all the people that participated in the Bike Info Expo.

No comments: