Thursday, December 11, 2014

Possible new bike infrastructure in Vienna!

At 8 pm on Monday, December 15 the Vienna Town Council will be considering a proposal for infrastructure improvements to Marshall Road SW between Nutley Street and Ware Street.

The proposed project includes a climbing bicycle lane on the south side of Nutley as described and shown in the map here:


If this link does not work, please go to the Transportation Safety Commission page here:


and click the link at the bottom of the page for Marshall Road SW Traffic Calming and Pedestrian/Bicycle Improvements.

Please consider emailing your support or comments to:


or if possible attend the meeting Monday night that begins at 8 pm. The Council chambers are on the second floor of Town Hall. 

Town Council meeting agendas are usually posted the Friday before a meeting.  There may be more details about this agenda item posted at that time.

1 comment:

ian spivack said...

I sent the comment below:

Hi,
I would like to provide comments on the Marshall Road SW Pedestrian Improvements and Traffic Calming. I bike commute to Rockville for work. I am a professional engineer and work for the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission. I am also a Cat 1 road racer and routinely compete in bike races throughout the nation.

1. I do not agree with installing the curb and gutter bump‐out on the southern side of the Ware Street intersection as shown below:
http://www.viennava.gov/DocumentCenter/View/2412
Montgomery County has installed a few of these near my office at White Flint and these "bump outs" force cars, and unfortunatly, cyclists into a narrow funnel. They are dangerous because most people who drive are distracted and the bump outs will cause them to swerve. I have had this happen to me many times near my office since they installed these bump outs and I have almost been hit by a car many times.
2. Why are you only putting a short "bike climbing lane" on this street? Would you install a road that stopped at a train track? Bike lanes only work if they connect to other bike lanes or bike trails. Please consider extending the bike lane.

Thank you,
Ian Spivack
gte534j@gmail.com