Bicycle Coordinator Receives Transportation Achievement Award
Strunk is the bicycle coordinator for the Fairfax County Department of Transportation. He was selected based on his efforts planning facilities to allow non-motorized or bicycle transportation options.
In 2009, Strunk managed the following projects:
* Creating 10 new miles of bike lanes on Gallows Road, Westmoreland Street, Lawyers Road and other streets.
* Completing the bicycle and pedestrian bridge on Wolftrap Road near ilmer Middle School, providing non-motorized access between Tysons Corner and the town of Vienna.
* Supervising the purchase of 150 new bike racks for locations across the county.
* Securing a $104,000 federal grant to create the Sully District Historic Sites Bike Map, a guide to family-friendly bike routes that highlight Civil War and historic sites in western Fairfax County.
* Leading the effort in winning a Virginia Department of Health grant to buy and give away 200 bike helmets to children.
Since 2006, Strunk has served as the county’s first bicycle coordinator, where he oversees efforts to incorporate bicycle facilities as part of the county’s transportation infrastructure.