Monday, June 29, 2009

Cross Training for RAGBRAI



We are getting closer to RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa). I need to ride some serious miles. I need to get the trailer, van, camping gear, and bikes ready. I joked yesterday that I also needed to increase my intake of pie as a method of training. Daughter-in-law Katie and grandson Cyrus came to visit yesterday with this wonderful strawberry-rhubarb pie that Katie baked. It was superb.

Several years ago oldest daughter, Jessica, named our group of RAGBRAI participants "Pedaling for Pie". It reflects our interest in the art of pie baking plus it reflects the Iowa tradition of events, carry in dinners, and bake sales all featuring outstanding pies. We have the habit of stopping once or twice a day on RAGBRAI to have pie. When you are riding 60-90 miles a day you can rationalize the calories. Ces designed signs that we use to find our encampment in each overnight town featuring a slice of pie.

This year RAGBRAI has recognized the significance of pie by using a slice in the logo. If you want to learn more about the event you can go to http://www.ragbrai.org We are 18 days from beginning serious pie eating when we get to my folks home in Centerville. My mom greets us with Dutch Apple Pie, Rhubarb Pie, and sometimes Blackberry Pie. On Sunday, July 19, we will begin pedaling for pie.

No comments: